Friday, January 29, 2010

Ben's Students

I think I mentioned this before, but Ben has begun teaching full-time at a "local" high school. It's about half an hour away in Celeste TX.  What?  You've never heard of Celeste?  Yeah, me neither.  The population is about 800 and there are about 200 kids in the school.  And boy do they say the funniest things!  Here is a sampling.

Ben passes out a printed schedule of the next unit's homework assignments and quiz dates
Student:  Looks like you spent time on this!
(The previous teacher would write out tests by hand and photocopy them.  They were also in shock when Ben used the document camera.  The school is new and nearly every teacher has one, but apparently Ben was the first to use it)

Ben had noticed that his classroom set of textbooks was slowly shrinking.  Then one day one of his students came in carrying four of them.
Student:  I was cleaning out my locker.
Ben:  Thanks.
About 20 minutes pass.  He come back in with four more books!
Student:  I cleaned out my other locker.
Ben:  How many lockers do you have?
Student:  Four.

Ben was wearing a dark violet shirt
Student:  You know what your shirt reminds me of?  A grape.  Has anyone ever told you that before?
Ben:  No, I don't think so.

Student:  What is your daughter's name?
Ben:  Eleanor.
Student:  Oh cool, like "Gone in 60 Seconds."
Ben:  Um...sure.
Ben's coolness is "through the roof" because he speaks Japanese and his daughter is "named after" Gone in 60 Seconds. 

And my all-time favorite:

Student:  Do we sound funny to you?
Ben:  Why?  Do I sound funny to you?
Student: You sound like a Yankee.  No offense, but you sound like a Yankee.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Summer! Didn't know you had a blog! Also didn't know Ben got a job full time! Awesome! What does that mean for your housing plans? We don't want you to leave the ward.
    Amy Whetten

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND...a wife named after 500 days of Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if our first release-time seminary teacher thought we were a little strange, too.

    ReplyDelete